[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 9 most recent journal entries recorded in
|Sunday, April 13th, 2008|
Chessie's First Post
Well, I decided to give these livejournal communities a shot, starting somewhere with what sounds like a terribly interesting premise. I'm a girl from somewhere in Wisconsin but then most anyone interested is probably going to go nudging about through my profile and see that.
I figure it's a good time to meet people though and networking here should at least be interesting. Give me a poke for conversation! I'm available most of the time and while I would like some long and erudite introduction I'm afraid my brain has all the substance and aesthetic quality of tapioca on a soy cracker at this hour of the morning.
|Sunday, September 26th, 2004|
So, the thing I've been wondering is "Where do the intelligent girls hang out?" I mean, it's not like I can just go to a bar and find someone I'm interested in. Unless they happen to be there supporting a friend who's in a band (which is about the only time I've gone into a bar, except when I've had to pull one of my sailors out by the short hairs), the fact that they're in there in the first place pretty much kills most of the attraction I may have had for them.
Libraries are a no-go, nobody uses them anymore, especially in Newport News, where the libraries are a total joke and only useful to pick up your tax forms.
Anyone have any ideas? Gals, a bit of insight?
|Saturday, August 21st, 2004|
Ay-ya! It's been a helluva busy week, getting things ready for drydown and early-work start... epsecially since we're still not sure what our "process" is, and don't have a signed operating agreement.
Anyways, I'm glad to see this group growing, even if it is somewhat slow. Daijobu! Anyways, just wanted to say there is a reason for my negligence... I'm busy paying off my truck. ^o^
|Saturday, August 14th, 2004|
Just kind of amusing
So the company I just started with hired two people... myself and Shane. Shane has four years of experience aboard the USS Enterprise, and I've got eight on Nimitz class carriers (five on the Truman, three on the Reagan). We're both hired for the same job, Work Control Analysts. Now I'm working on the 'prise, and he's on the Ike (a Nimitz class...). I'm sure there was something in ISO 9000 about effective use of manpower...
|Monday, August 9th, 2004|
A little ground work
It's natural that a site like this will, from time to time, brush on contraversial subjects. This is all well and good, but such things can often devolve into intellectual McCartheyism. While there are certainly things that are right and wrong, we are not omniscient. There are people who will post here who are every bit as intelligent as you, and just as educated, who have opinions and views that are radically different than your own... whether they be creationists or evolutionists, pro-life, or pro-choice. If this were not so, history would be much more bland.
Just a few things to keep in mind...
- If your argument comes down to "get with it, everybody knows..." you may not have a valid argument.
- While it's fine to call on someone to back their statements up, if your side of a discussion consists only of "Prove it," you aren't contributing much to the discussion. I call this the siege mentality. While your opponent spends hours researching and writing an intelligent response, you take less than a minute out of your time to find just the right line and replying with "prove it." The fact that your opponent gives up after the sixth or seventh time does not mean you've "won." It only means that they got tired of the childish game.
- If you have nothing to say other than to attack someone's spelling, consider the battle lost.
- As firmly as you believe your side and think it is the only sensible option, so does your opponent for his view.
- Bush voters will not be refered to as Right-wing fascists. Kerry supporters will not be called pinko-commie bastards. Nader voters are not air-headed tree huggers. Libertarians are not druggie anarchists. And independants will not be reminded that the only thing in the middle of the road is a yellow stripe and some dead armadillos. If I've failed to offend your political preference, I appologize.
None of us have a monopoly on knowledge, let's not try to act like we do.
I thought it said "trains"
Movie & music geek, also driven by the power of pen & paper (read: I love anything that has to do with written thought - poetry, lyrics, books, etc). Moved by artistic expression and articulate thought.
If that makes me a sapiosexual, I'm guilty as charged.
Hmm.. lets actually start a conversation....
What intellectual subjects do you like talking about?
If someone was going to use intelligence as a pick up line which subject would most attract you?
|Sunday, August 8th, 2004|
And you have your first new member.
I'm Rob; an ex-webmonkey and a current roleplaying, writing, music (singer/guitarist/songwriter) and martial arts geek.
You may also want to look at geeksarehot
, a community I started.
And so here's me geeking out with my cameraphone...( This is meCollapse )
Is this thing on?
I guess every forum needs a first post, and I guess it's only proper for the moderator (and sole member at the time) to make it. Alright, then, here it is... First Post!
Is it not nifty?